Wednesday, April 29, 2009

St Elizabeth Seton

Over the weekend, I went with my parents and grandmother out to see the shrine of St Elizabeth Seton, the first American born saint. The basillica was quite pretty. I'm not sure when it was built, because it doesn't appear to be 1960s/70s architecture, but she was only beatified in 1964 and canonized in 1972, I believe. I could be slightly off on the dates. But she was sanctified around the 1880s, so they may have started building then. We didn't actually go into the shrine, because the Mt St Mary's College choir and orchestra were having a concert in the basillica, which we went to instead. But it was a lovely afternoon drive out to picturesque Emmitsburg.




The picture is a little small, and crooked, but you can get the idea.

4 comments:

Beth said...

One of my high school friends has a ring with a piece of her fingerbone in it, because her mother was chummy with some nuns at the shrine. Oh, and named her Elizabeth. I think that's a little creepy . . .

Ann said...

And by "friend" named Elizabeth who owns her own reliquary, do you really just mean yourself?

Leo said...

No, I really mean a friend named Elizabeth who was born in Virginia and whose parents were Catholics at the time. I'm named Elizabeth, but that's where the similarities end.

Beth said...

Leo used my computer and switched my identity; that was me above.